This recipe is from Rachel Allen.She is one of the finest cook in the U.K..I was inspired by her methods and tricks in baking.
Plain flour-200gms,plus extra for dusting
Grated lemon zest-1 tsp
Raspberry or strawberry jam as required
Icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
2. Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest, egg yolks and butter. Mix with an
electric food mixer or a wooden spoon until it comes together as a dough. Remove from the bowl and flatten with a
rolling pin or the palm of your hand to about 2cm (3/4in) thick. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Remove the dough from the fridge and place on a lightly floured work surface. Roll the dough out to about 5mm (1/4in) thick.
4. Using a 6cm plain biscuit cutter, cut the dough into discs.
5. Take half the discs, and using either a plain or flower-shaped 3cm (1 1/4in) cutter, cut holes from the centre.
Bring the scraps together and roll out to make more discs, and cut holes in the centre of these. Repeat until u finish all the dough.
6. Place the discs on baking trays (you will need a few baking trays) and bake for 8-10 minutes until pale golden.
Allow to stand for a few minutes, then remove from the trays and transfer to wire racks to cool.
7. When the discs are cool, spread 1/2-1 teaspoon of jam on the whole discs and top with the discs with the centres cut out.
8. Dust with icing sugar and serve